Junior Communications Expert with Focus on Rural Development
Brussels , Belgium
Starting: March/April 2013
BackgroundThe European Network for Rural Development (ENRD) was set up by the Directorate-General for Agriculture and Rural Development of the European Commission in 2008 to help improve the implementation of rural development policy in EU Member States. The ENRD Contact Point in Brussels supports DG AGRI in running the network and provides the focal point for ENRD activities.
The communications group of the ENRD Contact Point uses various communications channels to showcase rural development policy in action. Particular emphasis is put on disseminating the ENRD’s policy research and networking activities and on presenting projects co-financed by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development. The tasks of the team include the production of several publications and periodical magazines (e.g. EU Rural Review and ENRD Magazine), as well as videos and online resources such as the Communicating Rural Development gateway. Working with the analytical and networking specialists of the Contact Point, comprehensive editorial and promotional services are provided to ENRD stakeholders.
The ENRD Contact Point is looking for a junior communications expert, who will be responsible for implementing promotional strategies and developing materials, the management of all audio-visual resources and video production. You will also be involved in events management, coordinate our graphic designer’s schedule, and contribute actively to publications and our social media presence. If you are a pro-active self-starter with experience in video editing, a keen eye for design, exceptional organisational skills and a demonstrable interest in rural development policy, you are just who we are looking for!
- Degree in social science, communications, journalism or similar – or – agriculture/rural development;
- 5 years professional work experience of which 3 years in communications (agency, writing, editorial, multi-media production, press relations or similar), at least some of which for a European institution or organization. Some experience in development of promotional materials/products, layout design, print management, photo library administration and copyright clearance;
- Some knowledge of EU regional/rural/cohesion policies;
- Fluency in spoken and written English (native or near-native level) and knowledge of at least one other EU language;
- Proven ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines, working autonomously and as a team player.
- Good knowledge of EU rural development policy, ideally through work experience;
- Experience of small/medium scale promotional campaigns;
- Good knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign);
- Experience in events management and participatory methodologies;
- Video editing skills (ideally proficient in Final Cut Pro X or willing to train);
- Experience in social media as community manager and/or animator.